A Culture of Excellence
Mather Hospital has a culture of deep and genuine commitment to patient safety and quality improvement. Mather has been recognized for its quality improvement initiatives by a number of organizations. In 2014, Mather was recognized as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® by The Joint Commission. The five measures for which Mather achieved a performance threshold of 95% or greater are heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, stroke and immunization. Mather’s laboratory was awarded The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval for Healthcare Quality. In 2014, Mather received the “Get With The Guidelines” Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award from the American Heart Association, which recognizes its commitment to quality and success in implementing a higher standard of care for stroke patients using nationally accepted clinical guidelines. In 2018 Mather received its 12th top “A” rating for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group and continues to receive high ratings in patient satisfaction surveys. This program places a strong emphasis on resident involvement in hospital- and program-level quality improvement projects. Also in 2018 Mather Hospital again earned the prestigious Magnet® recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC), a distinction held by fewer than 500 hospitals worldwide. The Magnet Recognition Program® recognizes health care organizations for quality patient care, nursing excellence and innovations in professional nursing practice.
Mather Hospital has affirmed its commitment to Graduate Medical Education (GME) by providing an educational environment based on the highest standards of excellence in: professionalism, education, and ethical comprehensive patient care.The Board of Directors and Hospital Administration are committed to providing the educational, financial, and personnel resources required to carry out the Hospital’s GME mission. In addition, the hospital staff has enthusiastically embraced the introduction of the educational mission into the culture of Mather. The fulfillment of the academic mission requires that the clinical environment support scholarship and the spirit of inquiry. Fundamental to this educational experience is clinical excellence in evidence based patient care, which is delivered through the coordinated efforts of a multidisciplinary team. The patient is an important member of that team. Through the educational process the resident will learn to function as a member and leader in a healthcare team that explores ways to deliver high value healthcare while minimizing error, waste and delay. Additionally, residents and faculty will actively engage in life-long learning, mastering the techniques necessary for self-assessment and formulating solutions by searching, appraising the literature and incorporating the most up to date scientific research into their practice.
Our hospital goal is to be the best community hospital in New York State and we hold four pillars as our core values: People, Service, Quality & Safety and Innovation & Growth. As such, we strive to provide an ethical and professional environment in which the educational curricular requirements can be fully achieved and assessed. At Mather, diversity of background and thought is both respected and encouraged, and is considered a valued resource for development of original ideas.
Signature Programs and Services
Mather has extensive surgical, behavioral health, and sleep services that will broaden the spectrum of conditions that residents will encounter and enhance the clinical experiences. For example,
- Mather has a robust robotically assisted surgical program capable of performing procedures in the following specialty areas: gynecology, gynecologic oncology, bariatric, urology and thoracic surgery.
- Mather’s Sleep Disorders Center is accredited by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine and includes both outpatient and home-based adult and pediatric sleep disorder evaluation. Residents have the opportunity to take an elective in Sleep Medicine.
- Mather has a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence (designated by the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery), which uses a multidisciplinary approach to the treatment of morbid obesity.
- Mather has comprehensive Behavioral Health Services including an inpatient adult and adolescent psychiatric unit, an adult and adolescent partial hospitalization program, an eating disorders clinic and an outpatient alcohol and substance abuse program.
- Mather’s Fortunato Breast Health Center has full accreditation by the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers. Mather also has accreditation from the American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer.
In addition, Mather has many other significant and unique resources available that will enhance resident education. For example,
- In 2007, a 16-bed Transitional Care Unit (TCU) was opened. This is a short-term inpatient unit where patients receive the focused care they require before being discharged home or to another facility. Mather’s TCU was one of the first such units in New York State, and Mather has earned national recognition for the success of this unit. The residents’ inpatient geriatrics experience occurs within the TCU. The resident will learn the fundamentals of geriatric medicine, including the physiology of aging, geriatric syndromes, pharmacotherapy in the elderly, palliative care, and assessment of cognitive, psychological and physical functions. The TCU also offers residents a unique opportunity to learn about the coordination of transitions in care. The importance of clear communication between providers during patient transfers to prevent fragmentation of care is emphasized. The residents will have an active role in facilitating the transfer of patients to the TCU as well as in discharge planning.
- In 2011 Mather acquired the advanced 320-slice CT scanner. Radiology services at Mather are provided by Stony Brook Medicine board-certified radiologists who are faculty in Stony Brook Medicine’s radiology residency program. A remote diagnostic system allows physicians to supervise the scanning process and view scan results live from wherever they are located.
For more information about Signature Programs, click here.