From your Bariatric nutrition team
With chicken being a staple ingredient in most kitchens, we are always looking for a new way to cook chicken to make dinner a little more exciting. This cheesy, flavorful, Mediterranean-inspired recipe won’t disappoint.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 – 10 oz. package frozen spinach thawed (squeezed dry of excess liquid)
- ½ cup part skim ricotta cheese
- ½ cup part skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 4 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese; divided
- ¼ cup sundried tomatoes; chopped
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp. olive oil or cooking spray
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl combine the spinach, ricotta, mozzarella, 3 tbsp. of parmesan, sundried tomatoes, 1 tsp. oregano, onion powder, garlic, and salt and pepper.
- Slice pockets into the long thick sides of the chicken cutting half-way through as if you were butterflying but not cutting all the way to the ends. Season the chicken inside and out with the remaining 1 tsp. oregano and salt and pepper.
- Fill each chicken breast pocket with the spinach mixture.
- In a large pan heat 1 tbsp. olive oil or spray lightly with cooking spray or olive oil spray on medium to medium high heat. Add the chicken breasts and cook for six to seven minutes per side. Sprinkle the chicken with the remaining 1 tbsp. parmesan cheese and cover until the cheese on top melts and the chicken is cooked to 165°
- Serve with a Mediterranean side salad.
Nutrition Information: 408 Calories, 57g Protein, 16g Fat, 9g Carbs; 2g Sugar, 3g Fiber