From your Bariatric nutrition team
Pumpkin seeds are a perfect snack this time of year, or any time of year for that matter. They are packed with fiber and protein and contain essential minerals such as iron, zinc, magnesium, and potassium among others. Pumpkin seeds contain antioxidants and are a good source of heart healthy plant-based omega-3 fatty acids. So, try this healthy snack plain or roast them with your favorite spices.
- Pumpkin seeds (also known as pepitas)
- Olive oil or olive oil spray
- Your favorite spices
- You can buy pre-packaged pumpkin seeds almost anywhere, but if you prefer using them straight from a freshly carved pumpkin either soak them in cold water to remove the pumpkin pulp or place them in a colander and rinse thoroughly until the pulp is removed. Place cleaned seeds on a paper towel to dry.
- Add seeds (1 cup) to a bowl and gently spray with olive oil spray or add 1 teaspoon of olive oil and then add your favorite spices. Be creative. For example, try ½ tsp. each of garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and paprika (or even a smoked paprika).
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and roast the seasoned pumpkin seeds on 325° for 15-20 minutes, tossing halfway through, until the seeds start turning a golden-brown color. Keep an eye on them so they don’t burn.
- Let cool for a few minutes and Enjoy!
Try other spices such as your favorite Cajun or Barbeque seasoning or cayenne for a little spice!
Nutrition per ¼ serving: 81 Calories; Protein 3g; Carbs 9g; Fat 4g; Fiber 3g