From your Bariatric Nutrition Team
Here is a great one skillet meal for when you don’t have a lot of time for clean up after a long day. This Greek inspired meal is packed with flavor and simple to make.
Makes 4 servings.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast sliced into 1 inch strips
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 8 oz. jar artichoke hearts, drained
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup kalamata olives, sliced or chopped
- 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil), chopped
- 1 cup spinach, roughly chopped
- fresh basil, chopped (4 or 5 leaves)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Brown chicken on both sides and cook thoroughly. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil to the pan. Add onion and sauté for 5 minutes, or until softened.
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, oregano, and pepper and cook 1 minute until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add balsamic vinegar, diced tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes.
- Add sliced chicken back to the pan and spinach and cook for 5-10 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add basil into the skillet and serve hot!
*To make prep time even easier, prepare ingredients ahead of time by chopping the onion, garlic, olives, and sun-dried tomatoes and store them in the refrigerator, or buy pre-chopped veggies. You can also substitute ½ cup thawed frozen spinach.
Nutrition Information: Calories 294; Fat 11g; Carbs 19g; Fiber 7g; Protein 28g; Sugar 5g