By Barbara Broggelwirth, RDN, CDN
Supermarkets can feel like minefields these days. Social distancing practices makes us less likely to want to go food shopping, and if we do go to the store, we don’t want to go often. So, what foods can we purchase in larger amounts to keep on hand that won’t go bad and are also nutrient dense?
Here are some foods that meet that criteria, along with a few recipe ideas to use them in:
|Building a Nutrient Dense Pantry|
|Dried beans and lentils||Canned fish||Low fat Cheese|
|Canned low sodium beans||Low-sodium chicken / vegetable broth||Eggs|
|Whole grains (oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa)||Low sodium canned soups||Non-fat plain Greek yogurt|
|Whole grain pasta (lentil, whole wheat, chickpea)||Natural peanut or almond butter||Frozen vegetable burgers|
|Jarred tomato sauce||No salt added nuts||Assorted frozen vegetables|
|Canned no-salt-added diced tomatoes||Dijon mustard/vinegar/ olive oil||Assorted frozen fruit|
|Prepared pesto||Jarred salsa||Chicken/fish/lean beef|
Five simple recipes with less than five ingredients:
- Quick Pasta Fagioli – Simmer broth, crushed tomatoes with rinsed cannellini beans and small pasta, such as shells or elbows; cook, stirring frequently, until the pasta is al dente. Optional: Top with grated Parmesan.
- Quick Cauliflower Fried Rice – Sauté thawed frozen mixed vegetables in olive oil (or other oil, like sesame oil). Stir in frozen riced cauliflower and soy sauce and cook, stirring, until warm and sizzling. Optional: Add egg and scramble at the end
- Chili-Style Beans in a baked potato (or sweet potato) – Simmer rinsed kidney or pinto beans and a can of diced tomatoes until tender and saucy. Add a teaspoon of cumin and chili powder to the beans and tomatoes. Serve inside a small baked potato and top with non-fat plain Greek yogurt.
- Pasta Primavera – Measure ½ cup serving of cooked whole grain pasta, 1 tbsp of pesto and bulk it up with tons of frozen vegetables.
- Savory oatmeal with vegetables – Frozen vegetables mixed with cooked steel cut oats and prepared pesto – pair with your favorite protein.
Please remember when you do venture out to the grocery store to wear a mask, stay six feet away from others, sanitize everything you bring home and stay safe.
Adapted from eatingwell.com
Barbara Broggelwirth, RDN, CDN is a registered dietitian nutritionist who works with Bariatric and Medical Weight Management patients, helping them achieve their health and weight loss goals.