Why heat up the kitchen during the hot summer months? Grill up this colorful tasty dish to serve as a meal or a yummy side to accompany any grilled meat or fish. This will be an impressive addition to any dinner table that will please both family and friends.
- 4 medium to large beefsteak or other round firm tomatoes
- 10 oz. frozen spinach, thawed
- ½ cup cooked lentils
- ¼ cup panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup reduced fat feta cheese
- ¼ cup + 2 tsps. grated parmesan or Romano cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 tsp oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat the grill to a medium heat to 400° to 450°.
- Squeeze excess water from spinach in a lint free towel; trying to remove as much liquid as possible.
- Cut the tops off the tomatoes and use a spoon to scoop out the core and seeds and discard. Brush the bottoms of the tomatoes with a bit of the olive oil and place on a tray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the spinach, ¼ cup parmesan and feta cheese, garlic, oregano and season with salt and black pepper. (for a little kick add a dash or 2 of red pepper flakes).
- In a separate bowl mix the bread crumbs and 2 tsps. parmesan cheese.
- Stuff the tomatoes with the spinach and cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops of the stuffed tomato with the bread crumb mixture and drizzle with the remaining oil.
- Place the stuffed tomatoes on the grill. Cook 10-15 minutes with the grilled closed.
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 186; Carbs 19g; Fat 8g; Protein 11g