From your Bariatric Nutrition Team
It’s that time of year when nearly every meal contains some type of salad. The chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans) in this salad provide some protein and complex carbohydrates that can make this a light and satisfying main dish or a flavorful side for any grilled meat, poultry, or fish. One half cup of chickpeas provides 6 grams of protein and 19 grams of carbohydrates, including 4 grams of fiber.
- 1 – 15 oz. can chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- ½ medium cucumber, seeded and large diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- ½ cup crumbled or cubed feta cheese
- 1 or 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp. of your favorite vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the chickpeas, tomatoes, cucumber, and red onion.
- In a small bowl or jar combine the dill, oregano, garlic, olive oil and vinegar and a pinch each of salt and pepper. Whisk or shake to combine.
- Add the dressing to the chickpea salad and toss gently. Add the feta and gently toss again.
Makes 6 servings
Nutrition Information: 191 Calories; 4g Carbs; 11g Fat; 3g protein; 3g sugar