From the Bariatric Nutrition Team
It’s that time of year again. The perfect time to get in the kitchen and prepare a big batch of hearty soup to chase the chills away. Soup is the perfect dish for adding more vegetables to your diet, and beans are a great way to get more plant-based protein and fiber. Soup freezers well so don’t worry about having leftovers.
- ½ 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained Dark Red Kidney Beans
- ½ 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained Light Red Kidney Beans
- ½ 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained Cannellini Beans
- ½ 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained Black Beans
- ½ 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained Roman Beans
- 2 ½ 15 oz. cans Fire Roasted Tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced and leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 jalapeño diced (ribs and seeds removed)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pot on medium high heat add oil then add onion celery, jalapeño, and carrots. Stir- when onions are translucent add garlic, paprika, thyme, oregano, pepper flakes, salt and pepper and cook for an additional minute.
- Add tomatoes, beans, and stock. Stir all ingredients and simmer for 1 hour. If you like a thicker creamier soup, use an immersion blender and blend for 30 seconds or so. This will thicken the soup but still leave most of the beans and vegetables whole.
Nutrition information: 207 calories; 12g Protein; 12g Fiber; 3g Fat; 36g Carb