From your Bariatric Nutrition team
During these unprecedented times, most of us are trying to stay home utilizing the items in our pantries to make a delicious, healthy meal for our families. Here is a simple healthy patty you can put together in no time with very few ingredients.
Now is the time to get in the kitchen and be creative using simple ingredients you have on hand.
Makes six servings.
- 1 15 oz. can white beans (ex. cannellini, northern, small white), drained and rinsed
- 1 10 oz. package frozen spinach, thawed and liquid squeezed out
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs (can sub regular breadcrumbs or homemade with stale bread or crackers)
- ½ medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced (or ¼ tsp of granulated)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a small skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until the onion is translucent. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- In a large bowl, mash the beans but leave some whole or in pieces for texture. Add the spinach, onion, garlic, egg and salt & pepper. Mix well and form into 6 patties.
- Add breadcrumbs to a shallow dish and gently press the patties into the breadcrumbs coating both sides. Place the patties on a sheet pan sprayed with cooking spray.
- Place sheet pan in the oven and cook for 10 min. Turn patties over and cook for another 10 min.
Nutrition Information: 147 Calories; 9g Protein; 24g Carbs; 2g Fat
You can serve this with a simple side salad or a side of your favorite veggies. Or simply serve with a tzatziki dip or your own homemade yogurt sauce made with Greek yogurt, a little bit of garlic and a squeeze of lemon.