From the Bariatric Nutrition Team
This meal is a must-have for a hectic work week. This dish is as colorful as it is flavorful. With just a few simple ingredients you will have a delicious, healthy meal on the table in no time.
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 bell peppers, sliced with ribs and seeds removed (a trio of red, yellow, and orange looks amazing and adds natural sweetness)
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced (Vidalia works nicely in this recipe as it adds a subtle, sweet flavor)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup Marsala wine
- 2 tsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oil in a large pan on medium-high heat. Season the chicken with the garlic and onion powder and salt and pepper. Brown the chicken 7-8 minutes on each side, then remove from the pan and set aside (cover with aluminum foil to keep warm).
- Add the onions and peppers to the pan and cook until tender. Add the fresh garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for another minute or two, and then add the Marsala wine and cook for an additional 2 – 3 minutes to allow the alcohol to evaporate and the sauce to thicken.
- Add the chicken back to the pan to finish cooking through. Cover and let simmer for about 5 more minutes.
Nutrition information: 316 calories; 40g protein; 19g carbs; 8g fat
Serve with brown rice or whole grain pasta and a side salad or leafy greens for a healthy, flavorful meal.
Tip: Prep the garlic, onion, and peppers in advance to make the process much quicker on a busy weeknight.