From your Bariatric Nutrition Team
If you love the ease of throwing ingredients into one pot to create a delicious healthy meal, try this one. It won’t disappoint!
- 1 ½ lbs. chicken breasts
- 1 medium white, yellow or Vidalia onion chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into small coins or large chop (if using carrots with green tops you can chop and reserve along with the celery tops)
- 3 stalks celery chopped (reserve the celery tops and chop)
- 4 or 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ cup quinoa, uncooked
- 1 tsp. thyme, dried
- ¼ tsp. herbs de Provence (if you have it, optional)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
- 8 cups chicken broth or stock (low sodium recommended)
- 1 large bunch of kale (ribs removed) chopped (4-5 cups)
- Small handful of reserved chopped celery tops (and or carrot tops)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients up to the kale to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Remove chicken and cut into bite size pieces or shred.
- Add chicken back to slow cooker and add the kale. Add the chopped celery and carrots tops if using them.
- Cook on high for another 15 minutes or so. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with a squeeze of lemon or lime or a sprinkle of your favorite grated cheese.
Nutrition Information (6 servings): 291 Calories; 24g Carbs; 28g Protein, 5g Fiber