From your Bariatric Nutrition Team
Now that the colder days are here, there’s nothing more comforting than a steaming hot bowl of homemade soup. This simple hearty black bean and lentil soup is sure to warm you up from the inside-out. It is also packed with plenty of fiber and protein to help you feel satisfied longer, so you can head on out and enjoy some outdoor winter fun!
Makes eight servings.
- 2 tsps. olive oil
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced along with the leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into rounds (save the leafy part of the carrot tops)
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 oz. dried lentils, rinsed
- 2 15 oz. cans fire roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tsps. cumin
- 1 tsp. thyme
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 large bay leaf
- Leafy tops of carrots, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large soup pot with oil on medium high heat. Add onion and celery and sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Add garlic and heat through for 1 minute.
- Add cumin, thyme, bay leaf, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper and the leafy tops of the carrots and stir.
- Add carrots and cook an additional 4-5 minutes.
- Add beans, lentils, fire roasted tomatoes, vegetable broth and water and cook for 1 hour.
**Note: You can also put this soup in a slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
Nutrition Information: 136 Calories; 7g Protein; 24 Carbs; 2g Fat; 7g Sugar