By Melissa Buscetta, RD, CDN
There are times during the cold weather when you don’t want to venture outside to go to the gym. These are the times we tend to skip our workouts. However, a lack of exercise can affect our mood as well as our joints. It’s important to get those feel-good endorphins pumping again!
Here is a list of YouTube videos that offer various ways to stay fit without ever leaving home. All you need is a mat, a hand towel, and a water bottle.
- The Daily HIIT: Updated daily, they describe themselves as your ‘24 hour fitness training pal’. Look there for a variety of high-intensity interval training workout videos to help you achieve your personal body goals. Short videos make HIIT possible even on the busiest days.
- FitnessBlender: Simplicity and a friendly duo mean you won’t feel pressure when following these easy to follow workouts led by husband and wife team Daniel and Kelly. With over 300 full length workout routines and new videos uploaded weekly, this channel covers a wide variety of exercise styles including Pilates, bodyweight workouts, HIIT, strength training, cardio, kettlebell, yoga, circuit training and more.
- Tara Stiles: Her channel boasts a wide range of yoga related workouts for all ability levels, including ones you can do without even getting out of bed. New videos are posted weekly.
- Adam Rosante: Follow him for quick workouts you can do just about anywhere. All you need is your bodyweight and two dumbbells.
- BeFiT: Professional trainers like Jillian Michaels, Denise Austin, and Jane Fonda are featured here in the many exercise videos available. If you like to groove, try the dance fit workout videos for fast paced cardio.
*Listening to music has been found in multiple studies to increase motivation during exercise. Faster tempo music has been found by researchers to motivate exercisers to work harder when performing at a moderate pace. So, turn up your favorite Whitney Houston song or ask your virtual assistant Alexa to create a motivating exercise playlist on Pandora, and get those endorphins flowing!