From your Bariatric Nutrition Team
If you love the traditional green bean casserole – so popular for the holidays – this is a lightened-up version that won’t weigh you down.
Makes 10 servings (serving size is 1/2 cup).
- 2 tsps. olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium vidalia onion, cut in ½ and thinly sliced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1- 8 oz. pkg of cremini or white button mushrooms sliced
- 3 Tbsp. flour
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1 ½ cups skim or 1% milk
- 1 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into bite size pieces
- ¼ cup whole grain bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350˚.
- In a medium saucepan, steam the green beans for approximately 8 minutes. Drain and set aside the beans when done.
- While the beans are cooking, heat 1 tsp. of olive oil in a large skillet set over low heat.
- Add sliced vidalia onion and sauté for approximately 20 minutes or until the onions are caramelized and golden. Remove the onions from the skillet and set aside.
- Add 1 tsp. olive oil to the skillet along with the chopped onion and thyme and cook until translucent. Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour and salt and pepper over the onion, garlic, and mushroom mixture and stir continually for 1-2 minutes to cook out the flour.
- Gradually stir in the milk, and stir continually until the sauce thickens.
- In a small bowl combine the bread crumbs and grated cheese.
- Spray a 2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Place the green beans in the casserole dish.
- Pour the mushroom sauce over the green beans and top with onions and breadcrumb mixture.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Information (per serving): Calories 74; Carbs 9g; Fat 2g; Protein 3g; Sodium 106mg; Sugar 4g