Mather Hospital is a 248-bed community teaching hospital and a recognized leader in outstanding patient care and clinical quality. Since it opened its doors in 1929 as the first general hospital in the Town of Brookhaven, Mather Hospital’s legacy of excellence and innovation in health care has earned regional and national recognition. Some of the more recent are:
- Mather has a reputation for its caring nursing staff. In 2013 and again in 2018, Mather was designated a Magnet® Recognized Hospital by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, a prestigious recognition of quality, patient and staff satisfaction, and outcomes earned by fewer than 600 hospitals worldwide.
- We earned our 16th top “A” grade for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group in the spring 2022 ratings. Leapfrog is a national nonprofit organization driving a movement for giant leaps forward in the quality and safety of American health care.
- Mather consistently ranks among the top Long Island hospitals for overall recommended care and patient satisfaction, according to the HCAHPS patient survey.
- Mather Hospital was rated high performing in in the latest U.S. News & World Report hospital rankings. Mather also was rated high performing in colon cancer, COPD, geriatrics, heart failure, kidney disease, lung cancer surgery, orthopedics, and urology.
- We were recognized by The Joint Commission as a Top Performer on Key Quality Measures® for 2015. This demonstrates Mather’s commitment to assuring that evidence-based interventions are delivered in the right way at the right time. Mather was recognized as a Top Performer for heart attack, heart failure, pneumonia, surgical care, stroke and immunization. The Joint Commission is an independent, not-for-profit organization that accredits and certifies nearly 21,000 health care organizations and programs in the United States.
- Mather also earned The Joint Commission’s Gold Seal of Approval® and the American Heart/American Stroke Association’s Heart-Check Mark for Advanced Primary Stroke Care Center certification.
- We earned the 2022 American Heart Association/American Stroke Association’s Get With The Guidelines®-Stroke Gold Plus Quality Achievement Award. The award recognizes the hospital’s commitment to ensuring stroke patients receive the most appropriate treatment according to nationally recognized, research-based guidelines based on the latest scientific evidence.
- Mather received Geriatric Emergency Department Accreditation (GEDA) from the American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP), Level 3. This recognizes that our ED is focused on the highest standards of care for our community’s older adults.
- Mather Hospital is also a major economic driver in the community. According to the Healthcare Association of New York, Mather Hospital’s annual economic impact is $687,000,000.