Summer is on its way! There’s something about sunshine that makes everything feel better and causes all our cares to fly out the window, but don’t allow summer to mean a slip into inactivity and unhealthy eating habits. There are many local activities that you can take part in to make the most of your summer. Here are some great ways to stay mentally and physically fit close to home this summer:
- Shop fresh, local produce. Don’t let summer cookouts stop you from eating healthy. Do some shopping for fresh produce at your local farmers market or farm stand and provide nutritious options at your next barbeque. The Port Jefferson Farmers Market is open on Sundays from 9 am – 1 pm, offering a variety of local vendors, or check out others around the island.
- Hit the trails. There are many local parks that host great walking and biking trails. Stay active and take in the beauty of nature. The Greenway Trail between Port Jefferson Station and Setauket is just one of the many Long Island trails open to hikers, joggers, bikers and walkers – providing miles of outdoor recreational space to enjoy. Search for hiking and biking trails near you and get out and get moving!
- Join a summer sports league. Many towns offer a full array of summer sporting activities for residents to join. Port Jefferson Village offers a variety of recreational activities for children, adults and seniors, including yoga, golf and a summer softball league; Cedar Beach has a summer beach volleyball league and many local bowling alleys, including Port Jeff Bowl offer summer leagues for bowlers of all levels as well. Find an activity that interests you and join in the fun.
- Get in the water. Take a walk on the beach, go for a leisurely swim, take a surf or stand up paddle board lesson or even rent a canoe or kayak and go for a guided tour on the Long Island waterways. Not only are these all great ways to cool off in the water during a summer heat wave, but they’re also excellent ways to stay fit and active while trying something new.
- Activate your mind. If it’s too hot outside, take refuge in the cool air conditioning at your local library and exercise your brain. Pick up some beach reads or some rainy day movies and games for you and your family to enjoy. Libraries also offer a variety of programs including free events, lectures, movie nights and social clubs.
- Relax with friends and family. It’s important to take a break every now and then from your busy schedule to unwind. There are many outdoor movie and concert series you can attend to relax your mind and spend some quality time with loved ones. Head down to Harbor Front Park for movies on the harbor and sunset concerts. View a full listing of this summer’s featured events here.