Our Commitment to Exceptional Patient Care
Since it first opened its doors in 1929, Mather Hospital has consistently met its mission of “providing a wide spectrum of healthcare services of the highest quality to the residents of Suffolk County.” We have received national recognition for our compassionate care and patient satisfaction, including:
- Recertification in 2018 as a Magnet hospital, a prestigious recognition of nursing excellence
- 12 top A grades for patient safety from The Leapfrog Group
- Consistently rates above state and national averages for patient safety
Treating Cancer Patients
Recent innovations in cancer treatments have allowed for improved outcomes for oncology patients. While there are other cancer treatment centers in our region, Mather Hospital often becomes the facility of choice for patients due to our renowned nursing care and award-winning hospital reputation. Many patients select Mather Hospital for their oncology treatment because it is closer to home for them and their families, more easily navigable than larger institutions, and offers more personalized and exceptional nursing care.
The Need is Now
To meet the ongoing and growing needs of oncology patients, Mather Hospital has begun a major renovation of the 2 South Oncology Unit to provide an environment equal to the excellent level of care, reduce risk of infection and continue to improve patient outcomes. The renovation will:
- Triple the number of single-bedded rooms to 19, which will comprise the majority of the unit.
- Include enlarged bathrooms and private showers to the newly designated single-bedded rooms.
- Increase privacy and provide an optimal healing environment for our patients.
- Create an environment that reduces the risk of infection and improves the outcomes for immune-suppressed cancer patients.
- Include bedside computerized nurse charting stations and medication/supply cabinets in every patient room.
- Meet the growing need for cancer patients who are living longer.
- Create a family lounge for a comfortable respite for family members.
- Meet increased expectations for patient experience and safety.